San José de Ayora Parish Parish
The story goes, Ayora was the very important settlement of the ancient Cayambis, for the remains of fine ceramics, gold and bronze pieces found in this place. The parish bears this name in homage to Dr. Isidro Ayora, former President of Ecuador. Previously it was called “San José” because of its proximity to the Hcda. of the same name.
This urban parish was created on May 12, 1927, date that coincides with the feasts of Our Lady of Fatima. At the age of 85, it was officially declared as “Decentralized Rural Autonomous Government” (R.O. 635 of February 7, 2012). The population of the parish for the first time in its existence, on July 22, 2012, is elected their representatives to the Parish Council.