The Llano de Gualavisí, formerly, according to chronicles were the lands of the great Chief Cayambi Nasacota Puento, who resisted the Inca conquest for about 17 years. Nasacota Puento had in this plain his residence, the same one that was next to the river Gualabí, Guachalá and Pisque. Later, due to the celebration of the ancestral celebration of the Sun in the Middle of the World in the territory of Cayambi, Otavalo, Cotacachi, Caranqui, Pesillo, etc., people came from the Chota (N) and Guayllabamba (S) rivers to leave their great harvests, oyanzas and other products in the middle of great caravans among music, dances, songs, pilgrimages of friendship for several months. Many of the young people returned married; others stayed in this land to form new homes.
Upon the death of Nasacota Puento, these lands were left in the care of his sons Quimbia Puento and later with Geronimo Puento. At the coming of the Inca conquest by the years of (1450 – 1530) that many of them settled in Guachalá, Cangahua, Pambamarca, El Quinche, Tocachi, Tupigachi, Pesillo, etc, they maintain much friendship with these mitmas, mindalaes, mitimaes that were natives of the north, center and south of Peru.
From the year 1534 with the arrival of the Spanish conquest the first haciendas of Guachalá, Changalá, Ishigto, El Hato, Pisambilla, Chaguarpungo, Monjas, Miraflores Alto, etc. were formed, the same ones that were maintained until 1965 (Agrarian Reform). For the years of 1925, it is said that Jesus Gualavisí leader of the Indigenous Movement manages to distribute the land (1933) and parcel out the Llano de Gualavisí, which forms the parish of Juan Montalvo thanks to the management of the ringleaders: Jesus Gualavisí himself, Pedro Quimbiulco Albán and Heliodoro Chimarro among others, these lands belonged to the dictator Gabriel García Moreno and thanks to the liberal revolution of Eloy Alfaro passed into the hands of Social Assistance.
Subsequently the urban parish of Juan Montalvo of Canton Cayambe was created jointly with the parish Isidro Ayora, on May 12, 1927, in the old settlements of “El Llano” and Chacapatas respectively.